Friday, January 20, 2012

Hedgehawg

{In Which We Go Back To Work}




The party's over, kids. This morning P. dislodged our truck from street parking entombment and headed back to Massachusetts for Round Two/spring term of graduate school. The doggies are already back with my parents on the farm, and I'm all alone in Brooklyn, sighing melodramatically and considering the heaps and heaps of work I have ahead of me. It's been such a luxury to be a student again and have this long winter break together, and it's probably a good thing that just as we were starting to really settle into our extravagant three weeks of leisure thyme, reality swept in and gave us a quick smackathehead- P. and I both start classes Monday. 

As one of my sisters said (as only a sister could say), "it's really annoying that you don't have to go to an office every morning at 8am. Sometimes I have to hate you for it out of principle." Ah, yes, sweet sis. But you have great health insurance and a steady income, and you get to see your significant other any old time. The grass being greener and all that. 

Have a great weekend, friends. Pics above from a few days ago: my beloved cousin and her famous sourdough bread, the resulting breakfast of champions, and lazy, lovely doglets, whot I miss *turribly.* 

13 comments:

  1. The grass is indeed always greener. Good luck to both of you this semester!

    P.S. - I'll take your cousin's boots, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have an excellent semester at school!

    And, your reminder to your sister was a good one, since I was sitting here thinking things like "I wish I could live in Brooklyn, paint and go to school." But you make a good point, so I will sit here happily on my green grass while I admire your just-as-green grass. :) Have a great weekend, lady! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be in that apartment eating that bread with you. And you KNOW I love the pups. ;)

    However, only a sister can say those types of things and get away with it. I know. I've got one.

    Best of luck to both you AND P. this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird. I just bought a dishtowel patterned with hedgehogs today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there's something so right about ears which are perpendicular to one's snout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God you don't go to an office. You wouldn't be able to be here sharing all the awesomeness that you do! I haven't been able to comment properly lately and I just wanted you to know the show looked INCREDIBLE! Those flowers amaze. Any shot you'll be making limited edition prints one day? For us poor desert folk? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad you two got some time together! it's so hard doing long-distance, having that kind of mutual time off is a godsend. and just think - there's still spring break! haha. :)

    on a more fickle note, i absolutely love that hedgehog teatowel...where is it from?! i might have to late/early birthday-gift it to myself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am starting my starter tomorrow for sourdough. And your cousin's bread ohhh boy. The grass always does seem greener at times ... Sending you a hug my sweet friend whom I have missed reading her comments and I have slacked writing comments as well. Keep inspiring me daily. MUCH LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking of taking some class too this year, but with a steady job but no steady income it's impossible right now. My grass inot really green right now, but it's the price of freedom and I would do it all over again. (I quit my job two years ago and opened a shop).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Become a professor! Then you get the best of both worlds! Well, most of the time. Love these cozy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lily's devoted cousine here to say the boots are Madewell and remarkably, er, well made for a MegaCorp. The hedgehogs are from a great vendor at the Brooklyn Flea whose name I forget. The doggles are pure heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful that you made the most of your 'school break', before you know it you will both be finished with graduate school and missing the days of unscheduled time. Enjoy it. Can see how you must miss those dogs, how sweet they look lounging around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the lovely thoughts on greener grass and Addie, thanks for the boots & BK flea info.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn: